Today we’re going to show you just how fast you can start building Skylight applications. In just 5 minutes you’ll create and deploy a wearable application.
Before we get started, let’s make sure everything is ready for you to work. Please make sure you have gone through the setup steps in Part 0: Setup.
It wouldn’t be a Getting Started tutorial without a Hello World example, so that’s exactly what we’re going to create. This simple application will form the basis for the rest of the Getting Started series.
Skylight divides user interface elements into groups of “cards” that are organized into “views". Today we’ll create two simple cards in the default root view of a new application and then publish the application.
1. Open Chrome and go to the Skylight web portal.
2. Login with your Skylight credentials.
3. Once logged in, under the Application Dashboard section of the sidebar menu, click Applications.
4. If this is your first time signing in, you may not have any applications yet. Click thebutton in the lower right hand corner to create a new application.
5. Select Blank app to start with a blank application.
6. Name the application
Quick Start and click Create App.
7. When you create a new application, a default view called
root is automatically created for you. You should see this reflected in the left-hand view explorer. For this tutorial, we will simply create a few text cards and place them in our default view.
8. Select Insert from the top navigation bar and choose Text to insert a Text card into the view.
9. On the right side of the screen, you’ll see a number of properties that allow you to configure the look and functionality of your new card. Set the Text property of the card to
10. Now repeat the process by inserting another Text card and setting its Text property value to
World. Note that by dragging the cards in the view panel you can configure how they are ordered within your view.
11. Save your new application by clicking File > Save from the top navigation bar.
12. Hover over the Preview button at the upper right corner and select Client to test your application in the web client.
This will open the web client in a new tab on your browser. From the application list in the preview tool, you can click the name of an application to open and preview it. You can keep this client open side-by-side with Application Builder as you build your apps to see changes reflected as you work!